For the 7th year in a row, I’m excited to head up to NYC and cover The Makeup Show NYC for BeautyJudy.com readers! The show will run May 7-8, at the Metropolitan Pavilion (click the link for more details on the logistics!)
One of the perks of covering the show is of course the shopping, with discounts of up to 60 percent off at some booths, and I’ll cover some of the cool stuff that will be available at the show. But the best thing I get out of it?
Fun between Danessa Myricks and James Vincent on stage at a past The Makeup Show NYC.
Usually I do a round-up of coverage from the show floor, but as a freelance beauty writer I also get story ideas I can pitch, and I’ve written a few columns from sessions on topics such as DIY smoky eyes and bridal makeup. Every year I try to write a blog post about one of the key note sessions, like I did with artist Troy Surratt here, and David Klasfield from OCC here. Keynote sessions are a glimpse inside the mind of an artist, and a brand entrepreneur, and I hope you find these types of posts interesting!
So that’s a bit of what you can expect from me this year – I’ll be interviewing some of the artists for a story I’m working on about summer makeup trends, scoping out brands and products for my show round-up, and seeking out a lot of educational classes this year.
I am expanding my brand and will be doing makeup on a freelance basis, so I’m soaking up everything I can – and this year I want to write more on BeautyJudy about these types of sessions as I dive deeper into learning more about applying makeup and what it takes to be a pro.
I’m telling you – if you are a pro, and you live near an area that The Makeup Show happens in, you need to go. And for those in the NYC area, that time is coming this weekend!
In addition to the shopping and education, to kick off this year’s show, The Makeup Show will be hosting its first annual The Beauty Brunch on May 6th. Show organizers will be starting things off with champagne, brunch and makeup. Moises Ramirez will also be unveiling his art gallery at this year’s show, and all brunch attendees will be the first to view it.
There’s also The Makeup Show Beauty Tour NYC. On May 9th, hop on a bus with James Vincent for a champagne-fueled beauty tour of Manhattan.
For these two additional events, check The Makeup Show website for details on purchasing tickets!
Keynote speakers at The Makeup Show NYC will share everything from their road to success, tips and techniques, and advice for those looking to advance their own careers. I wanted to highlight the keynotes that will be happening, to give you a taste of what’s coming! There are also workshops.
Sunday, May 7th
● James Vincent’s “The Makeup Show Town Hall,”: In this all-new keynote address, James Vincent and a panel of artists and experts will address the issues affecting our industry today. Panelists and attendees will have the opportunity to discuss current topics, debate timely issues and voice opinions.
● Vlada Haggerty’s “Signature Style” — Sponsored by Smashbox Cosmetics: Vlada Haggerty is known in the industry for her imagination and signature style that has been widely imitated. In her first appearance at The Makeup Show, Vlada shares her story and secrets to creating such a unique, recognizable style.
● Ryan Burke’s “Creative Thinking”: Ryan Burke has captured the collective imagination of our industry as a makeup artist, model, photographer and muse. In his first appearance at The Makeup Show, Ryan will be joined by his innovative agent Ryan McKnight to share his story and provide insight into the creative process.
James Vincent hosting a discussion wtih Urban Decay founder Wende Zomir at last year’s The Makeup Show NYC.
Monday, May 8th
● Moises Ramirez’s “An Artist’s Eye”: Moises Ramirez is recognized in our industry as a true artist. With an understanding of fine art and an aesthetic all his own, Moises’ work is inspirational and truly groundbreaking. In this keynote address, Moises will share his work and provide ideas to put into practice that will take your artistry to the next level.
● Romero Jennings “A Career in Makeup” — Sponsored by MAC Cosmetics: In his first keynote at The Makeup Show, Romero will share how he got started in the industry and show you his process for designing and applying unforgettable makeup. Watch as he shows the detailed techniques for which he has become known and listen as he offers insight on what you can do to build your own career.
● “Kollective Konsciousness” — Sponsored by Kreative Kommune: Join us for this exciting panel as Kreative Kommune Artist and Development creator Ryan McKnight and his team join Rebels and Outlaws’ James Vincent to take us through the traditional and modern methods on how to get an agent, what an agent can do for you and what they are doing with this exciting new agency that is changing the game.
● Kevin James Bennett “Makeup Kit Breakdown”: In this first time keynote at The Makeup Show, the makeup master behind so many brands offers his assessment of what every artist should be carrying in their kit. He will review the essentials for every media format, help you separate the actual needs from the wants in an ever-growing market and offer insight on what are the actual must-haves for the makeup pro.
Are you a pro? Have you been to The Makeup Show NYC?! If you’re going this year, I want to hear what you are most excited about. If you aren’t, what would you love the most?!