Fresh, balmy makeup and crisp, graphic lines were the backstage beauty theme at Kate Spade‘s Spring/Summer 2015 (SS15) presentation titled, Escape the Ordinary.
Deborah Lippmann said that in order to complement the pops of color and graphic inspiration in Kate Spade’s SS15 lineup, she landed on a super white nail and rounded tips with a graphic, thin line of black placed just under the free edge nail line. She also opted to use the models’ natural nails vs. pre-made tips.
Deborah works on a models nails
To get the look, Deborah and her team of artists used:
- Smooth Operator 4-way Nail Buffer to shape nails into the rounded shape.
- Cuticle Remover and 2-Second Nail Primer to prep nails for polish
- Gel Lab Base Coat, allowing two minutes of dry time before polish application
- Amazing Grace – a super white polish that is opaque in two coats; again, the team waited two minutes in between coats of polish
- Fade to Black nail lacquer and a thin striper brush for the thin black line – or black striping tape, which was popular among artists yesterday
- After five minutes dry time for the look, the team added Gel Lab Top Coat
The team used The Cure on cuticles and Rich Girl SPF 25 Hand Cream on hands for added hydration.
The nails, in progress as the striping tape was applied:
The finished look:
For toes, the Deborah Lippmann team used two coats of Amazing Grace.
MAC Cosmetics lead makeup artist Lyne Desnoyers said she sought a makeup look for the Kate Spade show that put the models’ best face forward without stealing the show.
She landed on a look that included thick and graphic black eyeliner and skin that simply looked moisturized and balmy. Here’s the look sketched out:
Lyne and team achieved the balmy, natural skin look by using these products, straight from their playbook for Kate Spade:
Lyne talks about the use of Casual Color palette for the cheeks and lips at Kate Spade
Here’s the finished look:
The complete nail and beauty look:
For more on the fashion, especially the bags because, well, I’m a purse addict and I LOVE Kate Spade bags – check out this slideshow from Glamour of the best bags from the spring/summer line!
So what do you think of the graphic lines at Kate Spade’s show?! Would you rock this nail look?! What do you think of the use of white and black for spring?!