I’m trying new-old things with my hair. Finding that scrunching it is a good look for me with the shape of my face right now!
It’s been an exciting week for me – I have added a new layer to my weight loss efforts! Exercise!
A couple weeks ago, I told you it was my goal to find a new gym. A friend of mine read my blog and sent me an email, inviting me to use one of her complimentary guest passes for her gym. I took her up on the offer, and attended a spinning class with her last Monday night.
After class – which kicked my butt and made me want to go back for more! – a membership consultant took me on a tour, and gave me information about the facility. He took his time and he was honest. The only real downside? The gym is 12 miles and 15 minutes from my house.
I left with a seven-day pass to try out classes and the gym facility, which I did. My friend and I took a piloxing class – pilates and boxing combined, phew! – and I went back Sunday and took another spinning class. After the spin class, I signed up.
Over the course of the week, I also looked into a gym closer to where I live. Three miles and about 10 minutes away. The facility was abuzz with activity when I arrived. It was cheaper per month, offered classes and equipment just like the other, but didn’t feel the same. The tour I got was quick. I received three free passes to try the gym out. I actually never went back. I felt a bit intimidated by it; I drug my feet just to use free guest passes to the closer gym; not a good sign that I’d stick with going there when I was paying for it.
However, I debated for days. The gym close to my house was cheaper per month. And close to my house. But in the end, there were several factors that led me to make the decision I did, signing up at the gym close to my office:
- With the schedule of classes at the gym by my office, I will be able to make a 5:30 p.m. or 6 p.m. classes, which are the ones I am most interested in.
- I can’t take the highway home from work because it’s a traffic nightmare. But I can now, if I go to my gym first!
- There’s a basketball court. It’s not open to the public often, but I noticed that Sunday morning, if I arrive for spinning early, I can shoot around before the class.
- The staff is friendly, nice and helpful.
- The facility is big, open, well-lit, clean and I feel like I could spend a lot of time there, comfortably.
- I get three or four free sessions with a trainer who will help me meet my goal of once again running a half marathon.
- My friend belongs to the gym. Mike pointed this one out to me. This friend and I are both trying to get in shape and lose weight and we’ve both always struggled with weight. I know that it will be amazing to have a friend – who felt the same way as I did after a rough piloxing class – to keep me motivated and to help motivate!
Last night I didn’t want to take spinning again, because it was at 6:30 and poor Mike is sick. I wanted to get home to him. So I went and started training for a 5K on the treadmill. I was home before 6:30.
This latest decision to join this gym, and becoming active again have left me so happy! I have never felt better about where I’m headed, and never more sure that I will enjoy the journey I’m taking to get there!
So, here’s my stats for the week:
Weight at start of the week (actually two weeks ago): 198 lbs.
Weight at end of the week: 197.2 lbs.
That’s a total of .6 lbs loss, for a grand total of 22.8 lbs down!!!
Goals for the coming week:
- Visit the gym a minimum of four times for anything – classes, training or treadmill!
- Don’t forget to cancel the gym membership I don’t want!
- Track my food! TRACK TRACK TRACK! It is paramount to my success on this program, for sure!
I am confident I can achieve all these goals this week. Minus the first couple days of the week. We won’t talk about what a monster PMS can be and how it made me eat chocolate, ice cream and fried spring rolls (only two!). Honestly, this is the first time since I had surgery that I feel motivated to stick on the program and not enjoy this or that just because I can!
And by the way, thank you all for stopping by and supporting my weight loss efforts by commenting on The Beauty Loser posts, Tweets, Foursquare check-ins or Facebook posts. Or just for reading. I am so grateful I get to share this journey with you, because I feel like you are part of it. Sometimes, knowing you are here, keeps me honest and on track.
So, tell me! Do you exercise? How did you pick your gym? Share your thoughts below, I’d love to hear what some of your favorite classes or workouts are!